Advice and tips on caring for your dentures
- Dr. Nguyen will diagnose your oral health and adjust your dentures or partial as needed.
- Your dentures should be removed before bedtime to allow the gum tissues to heal.
- Dentures should be brushed inside and outside daily with a soft bristle tooth brush and using dish washing soap (i.e. Palmolive or any other brand) only instead of toothpastes. Toothpaste are very abrasive and will scratch your dentures. Rinse your dentures with cold water and place it in cup of water before bedtime.
- Please do not place your denture in hot water as it will warp the plastic.
- You should place your dentures in a glass of cold water with a denture cleaning tablet (i.e. Polident or any other brand) every other day to eliminate odor-causing bacteria.
- Inspect your dentures regularly for worn teeth or cracks in the denture base.
- Worn and stained dentures can make you look older and cause your denture to function poorly.
- Discuss all your current medications with Dr. Nguyen.
- Be sure to visit our office yearly so we can check oral cavity and dentures.
- Have your loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction and pressure on the gum tissues and bones. A hard reline of your dentures can be done to improve retention and support.
- Most dental insurance policies provide coverage for new dentures every 5 years. Please contact our office when your dentures are 5 years old so a new set of dentures can be made at 408-269-6570.